Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hurricane Earl: September 4, 2010

In a previous post I had shown a picture of my preparations for the upcoming hurricane. In 1997 Hurricane Juan tore through Halifax and left most of the city without electricity or water for a week. Fortunately that was not the case for me this time.

While 200 000 residents in Nova Scotia, including me, did lose their power during the storm, the hurricane itself actually touched down 85 km south-west of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, meaning Halifax and its residents were spared the worst of the damage.

The 130 km/hr winds still broke a few branches around Halifax, and whipped around the hanging street signs near my home. Fortunately though, I did not lose my water as I had feared, and the power was returned to my neighbourhood only 9 hours later - which is fairly quick considering some of my Halifax friends have been told it will be Monday before their homes are back up and running.


(The calm after the storm. The irony is that no cars are driving through this normally busy intersection the morning after the storm, yet during the storm it was full of its normal unpleasant jerkfaces honking their horns as though somehow it is the fault of the driver in front that people who honk horns and/or yell at intersections are giant losers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment